THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Dees Cottage Page 3
In 1911, occupied by Sarah Surrell, widow and Charwoman (aged 61). She had had eight children, two of whom had died.
In 1939, occupied by Ann Gunnell, single lady, born 5 March 1888.
In 1946, 4 December, Moore & Sons offered Dees Cottage for sale at the Star Hotel, Upton-upon-Severn – a smallholding with 1 ¾ acres with vacant possession. Bought by Mr Bradford of Castlemorton for £150.
The Lower Field – Guildings Close
By 1887 this had been bought by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
In 1898, William Lord Farr and Joseph Betteridge sold the 'land a premises' to Joseph Betteridge.
In 1913, Betteridge's Will gave Little Welland Farm (in the possession of William Fisher) to his widow Thurza Tamer Betteridge, for his lifetime. However, she died before him (1920) and he died in 1927 and the property was sold to William Andrews for £155. He then conveyed it to John Randolph Anthony and Mary Andrews.
In 1927, Alfred Betteridge and Ernest Alfred Jeffs (1st part), William Andrews (2nd part) John Randolph Anthony and Mary Andrews (3rd part) and Percival William Jakeman (4th part). Part of a pasture, orchard and premises were conveyed to Anthony and Andrews upon Trust for Jakeman when he attained the age of 21. (He is the son of Roger Jakeman's grandfather's brother)
In 1929, the lower field on the 1909 OS Map was conveyed by John Randolph Anthony, Solicitor of 7 Sansmome Place, Worcester and Mary Andrews (wife of William Andrews of The Hollies, Castlemorton) to Percival William Jakeman, (Farmer of The Hollies). This covered Guildings Close (one acre, two rods and sixteen perches), being part of Little Welland Farm formerly in the occupation of S N Weaver, now in the occupation of Percival William Jakeman (No 126 on the OS Map).
In 1935, sold by Percival Jakeman to Harry Ernest Ivor Russell.
In 1955, Pervical Jakeman of Holly Bed House sold the lower field to Harry Ernest Ivor Russell of Vampla, Lorry Driver, for £175. The mortgage on this was discharged in 1958.
In 1958, Harry Russell of Vampla died and letters of Administration passed to Winifred Joyce Russell, his widow.
In 1960, Winifred Joyce Russell (now of Church Farm, Queenhill) sold the lower field to Thomas Bradford (of Cherry Orchard, Bee Keeper) for £287:10s.
The House and Top Field
Presumably the house remained in the Lane family from 1839 to 1871, and had been rented.
In 1871, John Rayer Lane died and Stephens and Days (should be Dees) passed to his wife Elizabeth Lane, and on her death to go to his son William Lane. (John Rayer Lane's life is recorded in this diaries, published as Castlemorton Farmer)
In 1874, William Lane mortgaged them to the Bank, [Sir Edmund Anthony Harley Lechmere (Bart), John Swinton, Isaac George Edward Martin and Arthur Charles Cherry, Bankers and Co-partners in Tewkesbury (Isaac Martin & Cherry, otherwise Lechmere & Co)] subject to life interest for E Lane, for £300 and a further £1000 (in 1880).
In 1887, E Lane died and the property was sold to A Lane for £210 mortgage free. The sale was for the two cottages in the possession of Charles Summers and William Surrell and the top field.
In 1906, A Lane, spinster of Harcourt Villa, Richmond Road, Malvern, died and her Will left the house and land to her nephew W Lane. It was occupied by William Surrell and Mr Young.
In 1931, owned by William Lane of Clerkenleap, Farmer, who died 10 June 1931. His Executors were referred to as 'trees', an abbreviation for Trustees. Ownership passed to his daughter Vera Mary Wintle for her life, and on her death to her son William John Wintle
In 1939, occupied by Ann Gunnell, single lady born 5 March 1888.
In 1949, 4 January, Vera Mary Wintle of Westbrae, West Malvern, wife of John Wintle, sold to Henry Cyril John Lane of Clerkenleap, Kempsey, Farmer (thereinafter called Trees -
Trustees) and Thomas Bradford of Cherry Orchard (Bee Keeper).
In 1949, 29 July, the House was sold by Thomas Bradford to Edgar Basil Jenkins of Holdfast Cottage (Worcestershire Highways Engineer) and Cicely Norah Jenkins his wife for £2500. The field was passed to his daughter Sylvia J Bradford, who married Frederick R Voyce in 1962 – explaining why the field belongs to her today. Thomas died in 1974.
In 1952, Major & Mrs E B Jenkins sold the house to Dorothy Matilda Halsey of 56 Hillcrest Gardens, Hinckley Wood, Sussex, widow, for £4000.
In 1960, listed Grade III.
In 1968, sold by Mrs Dorothy Matilda Halsey to Mr Henry Marsh for £36,500
In 1968, planning permission for an additional dwelling a garage by Mr H Marsh was refused.
In 1977, 12 September, listed Grade II. House. C17. Timber-framing with brick infill and thatched roof. Framed in irregular square panels. One storey with attic. To the left of the door there is a small window to the left of a pair of windows. To the right there is one window. The attic is lit by two eyebrow dormers. The thatch is carried down over the doorway to form a porch. Against the right-hand gable is a timber-framed outshut. Chimney at right. The right-hand gable truss has two struts between tie-beam and collar.
The addition of part of the Lower Field
In 1960, Bradford had purchased the lower field from Winifred Russell.
In 1970, Thomas Bradford sold part of the lower field to Henry Marsh for £300.
In 2006, December, bought by Michael Harper for £405,000 from Susan Coates.
In 2007, retrospective planning permission was given to Michael Harper for a new internal doorway into garden room and provision of pair of French doors.
In 2012, permission was granted for ground mounted solar panels.
In 2013, permission was granted for the siting of a caravan on the land, for ancillary residential use, as defined within the 1960 Caravan Sites Control of Development Act 1960 (as amended).
In 2016, permission was granted for a sewage treatment plant for the cottage.
In 2019, retrospective permission was granted for re-siting of an oil tank.