THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Four areas numbered 17 on the 1811 map below belonged to Edward Jakeman who bought the Bannut Tree. He was probably christened 31 July 1776 at Welland, died in 1842 living at Birts Street and was buried at Pendock Church 22nd June. Today the three areas down to the brook belong to Worcestershire Nature Conservation Trust who call the green area numbered 7, Alder Carr – a piece of wet ground where alders grow. The two field gates from Field Road (Walnut Tree Lane) are still there and the lower field gate to the left of the a is represented by a new field gate recently installed.
The Dean and Chapter of Westminster brought an ejectment in or about the month June, 1835, for a small encroachment containing about 12 perches, made by one Edward Jakeman about 25 years since, but it was never enforced. His overall plot in the 1839 Tithe is 52 perches.
The house was located on boggy land at the bottom of a steep slope rising to the north. It might have had a mill, working off the stream.
The pictures below show the course of the track shown on the map, the other side of the stream, exiting to Hollybed Common by a gate. This piece of land was until 2016 unregistered and lay between Upper Orchard Cottage and The Myttons, being on neither of their deeds. It was registered at the Land Registry to Upper Orchard Cottage and the track has been fenced.
The field to the north of the brook eventually became part of Hollybed Farm, known as Hollybed Meadows. In December 2012 the meadows were bought by Esmee Fairbairn Foundation, a charitable trust, to enable Worcestershire Nature Conservation Trust to raise the money to purchase the land – which they did in 2014.
Edward Jakemans House.