THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
1947 – this is the same as in the 1839 Tithe, except the top half of Lot 2 (406 in the Tithe) has been added. It belonged to Lord Somers. Also, Folly Field, (338 in the Tithe) was by then part of Hunters Hall.
In 1948, 13 March, Eight Oaks Farm Castlemorton, 35 head of cattle, viz.:-10 cows milk and in calf; 9 coming yearlings; 15 strong weaned calves and a pedigree Hereford bull. 2 working cart horses. 34 cross-bred 2 year old breeding yews with lamb or in yean. 25 head poultry, agricultural implements including 9 Spring Drays, 2 Carts Gears, Arable Implements. Cambridge Roll, Keil Drill, Side Rake, Pole Elevator, Rick Sheet, Sheep Rack, Troughs, Bomford Corn Mill, a Lister 4 ½ hp. Petrol Engine, 2 Poultry Houses, Casks, etc., which will be sold by auction by Moore & Sons on Thursday, 18th March at 1 o'clock, by direction of Mr. W. J. Howells, who is leaving. No catalogues. Auctioneers' Offices: Tewkesbury and Upton-on-Severn.
Published: Saturday 13 March 1948
In 1964, Charles Bunn died and it passed to his son Ron.
At some time after this, Bill Coppey lived at Eight Oaks for a short time.
Arthur Gibbons and his wife rented the house in the 1960s, Arthur remembers the night when the large barn that partnered the one in the photo fell down in the middle of the night "there was a tremendous crash". Arthur also recalls horses being kept on the bank behind the house. He said Anthony Bunn as a young lad used to call to see them, on one such visit he sent Anthony home carrying a gift of a huge marrow, Ant didn't get too far up the hill when he dropped the gift which smashed into tiny little bits!
Roy and Janet Allen with their son Colin rented the house for over 30 years 1976- 2008,
they kept goats and had an extensive vegetable patch.
Roy worked for his landlord Ron Bunn at Hunters Hall during this time, farming the land and the extensive herd of over 250 head of cattle. Roy would either walk to work or take the tractor as he had no car driving license, he would even take the Tractor to Welland shop!
Together Ron, Anthony and Roy farmed the land at Eight Oaks Farm, Hunters Hall, Hurst Farm, using the common rights of the 3 properties to enable them to keep many of the cattle on the Common. In 1993/94 Ron Bunn employed Richard Box to restore the ancient barn, Fred Wilkes and Steve Box worked weekends tiling the roof, around the same time the roof of the house was completely restored by Andrew Bird Roofing of Malvern.
From 2009 to 2014 it was rented to Dermot and Marcia Weaver.
Late in 2014 Anthony and his wife Stella began began renovating the house and other barns, assisted by many local builders and experts and they now live there. Many beams had to be replaced. The house is built with handmade bricks probably from one of the several Marley hole sites on the adjacent common, during the renovation almost every brick was taken out cleaned and then put back.
The barns were rebuilt on their original footprint and stabling and a menage were added for horse training.
During renovations, a cider press was found behind the farm house. An orchard extended up the hill behind it.
Renovation nearly finished 2018
Immediately before renovations November 2014
Renovations in progress