And The Surrounding District


The 1812 Ordnance Survey Map shows the cottage, pond and boundary. This image is taken from a digitised image, which has lost some of the detail. The land is called Head, geologically – unsorted and unstratified.

The 1839 Tithe Map, field 330, shows Thomas Rodway occupying a cottage and garden owned by John, Earl Somers. Next door, field 331 known as Taylor’s Orchard, is occupied by Richard Greenaway, as a tenant to John, Earl Somers. Next door to that (heading towards the gullet) is Folly Field. The plot is 2 rods 10 perches.

The 1841 Census shows Thomas Rodway, Wheelwright aged 65, with Thomas Rodway aged 3, living near the Feathers Inn. Richard Greenway, Farmer aged 60, is living at Hunter’s Hall with his wife Hannah, children Richard, Eliza, Harriet and Emma, and three Agricultural Labourers.

In 1851, Thomas Rodway, Wheelwright aged 79, born Castlemorton is living near The Feathers Inn with his wife Laetitia, married daughter Esther Pike, grandchildren Thomas Rodway, George Pike, Thomas Pike, William Cox and a lodger.

In 1851, Richard Greenway is Farmer of 70 acres aged 50, born Standish Gloucestershire, living at Hunter’s Hall, widower, with his daughter Emma, daughter in law Anne, grandchildren Anne Greenway, Harriet Greenway, Joseph Dobbs, a visitor and three servants.

In 1861, Hannah Greenway aged 60, widow, Farmer of 150 acres is living at Hunters Hall with her son Richard Greenway, his wife Ann, their children Ann, Harriet, Eliza, Richard, Edwin and Henry and four servants.

In 1861, not found.

1871, not found.

1881 Census: No property is obviously next to Hunter’s Hall Farm. The next one listed is occupied by Charles Wells (aged 46, Haulier), his wife Elizabeth (aged 35), their children Charles (aged 13), Elizabeth (aged 4), William S (aged 2), Thomas P (aged 9 months) and his mother in law Mary A Stephenson aged 64.

Thomas Hamblin is living elsewhere.

1887 Ordnance Survey Map shows the property.

1891 Census: Not named but next to Hunter’s Hall on Castlemorton Common, occupied by Thomas Hamblin (aged 70, Agricultural Farm Labourer), his wife Emma (b, 1861, Laundry Washer), their son George (aged 24, born July-September 1866) and their grandson Edward Smith.

1901 Census: House, known as Hunter’s Cottage, occupied by George Hamblin (aged 35, General Labourer), his wife Emily (aged 27).

The original plot is .373 acres and the pond is .152 acres.

1911 Census, House, known as Hunter’s Cottage, occupied by George Hamblin (aged 43, Farm Labourer), his wife Emily (aged 40) and a Boarder/Farm Labourer William Prichard aged 72.

November 1916, Hunter’s Hall Cottage sold by auction, being the property of The Right Honourable Lord Somers.

Described as a cottage built of brick and timber, roofed with slates and containing: two rooms on the ground floor, two rooms upstairs. Outbuildings: lean to corrugated iron erection with small shed, Pig’s Cot, lean to shed and Privy. Let to Mr George Hamblin on a quarterly tenancy, at a rent of £6 per annum, tenant paying rates and taxes.

The Lot is subject to an apportioned Tithe Rent Charge of 2/1, the value for 1916 being 1/9. The apportionment includes No 327 (water) forming part of Lot 5 (Hunter’s Hall Farm).

Shown as Fourfield in the 1939 Register and occupied by George Hamblin, Retired General Labourer (aged 73), his wife Emily (aged 66) and Mary J Smith (aged 93).

George Hamblin died in the third quarter of 1941 aged 67 and his wife died in the fourth quarter of 1949 aged 78.

The cottage was sold to Elizabeth Curtis who demolished it and built Fairfield.

Mrs Woolley – nee Smith - (Chandlers Farm) remembers her father helping to demolish it.

Elizabeth Curtis had been the housekeeper to Hereward Weaver and brothers who lived at Mount Pleasant.

The Weavers say there is a story that she stole money off Hereward Weaver to pay for her new house. When she moved there were many bags of half crowns, which had to be moved using a sack truck. The builders were a local partnership, Bill Hiles and John Lewis. Bill did the roofing timbers and John did the brickwork. Peter Wilkes, who now owns The Plume of Feathers, lodged with her.

The new house was built over two to three years from 1950-1953. Bill Hiles’s son, John, remembers helping to lay the roofing tiles, probably in 1953. ( The Privy was left standing for the builders to use and there are still some bricks on the Common near where it stood )

22 December 1954, Elizabeth Curtis, Owner/Occupier, gives permission to Midlands Electricity Board for the erection of one pole.

Mr & Mrs Thompson bought the house from Elizabeth Curtis. He worked in a Bank and she was a Gym Teacher.

In the 1950’s, Dan Gordon Miller and Jane Catherine Miller bought the house from the Thompsons.  

11 May 1972 – Margaret Erica Tassell (nee Hunter) bought the house from the Millers by auction for about £13,000.  She lived there with her husband, Douglas Rene Tassell (b. 11 June 1915, d. March 1988) – Vicar of Welland 1974-1979. They moved to Garden Walk, Upton upon Severn.

13 June 1986 - Donald and Betty Shuker bought the house from Margaret Erica Tassell for £68,000. Some cross ties were added to the roof trusses as they had not been built correctly in the first place.

In 1992 during the Castlemorton Rave, the police were provided with cups of tea from Fairfield.

19 June 2002 - Deed of Grant given by Malvern Hill Conservators for the right to use the access track.

August 2002

22 July 2002 – bought the house from Donald Edward Shuker and Betty June Shuker for £285,000.

8 October 2004 – new garage with room over and new lobby extension completed and signed off by Malvern Hill District Council Building Control.

4 June 2010 – Chancel Check Report on existing and new land.

22 September 2010 – Chancel check Insurance taken out.

9 September 2010 – bought pond and strip of land to the rear from Mrs Bunn, Hunter’s Hall Farm for £15,000. This strip of land was part of what was known as Hamblin’s Field.

19 May 2011 – one off payment received from British Telecom for access to Electricity Pole.

November 2011 - double glazing fitted.

November 2011 – Solar Panels Fitted.

Written by David  B Smallwood

1887 Ordinance survey shows the property

Map – date unknown, but believed to be before 1902

Map OS 1902

Enter Text

August 2012

Pond March 2017

The Cottage 1922

The Cottage 1922  George Hamblin and his wife.