THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Other names Druggers End, Ivy House, Ivy Cottage (not to be confused with Ivy Cottage – now Feathers Pitch Cottage)
Foothills is a Certified Caravan Club location, with five pitches for members only.
839 Tithe Map
In 1839, owned and occupied by William Hawker. Nos 397 – Orchard, 398 – Cottage and Garden. He also rented No 394 – Shed and land, Pasture Orchard and No 1139 – Old Lane Enclosed, Pasture Orchard, from the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. No 399 was part of Kings Cottage.
There was an access track at the east of No 1139, with a gate onto Druggers End Lane, providing access to the farmland behind known as Kings.
No 1139 (with the left hand part of No 399) would have been a branch of what is now Druggers End Lane, and had become enclosed as part of Foothills. See 1812 Ordnance Survey Map
In 1841, occupied by William Hawker, Farmer, his wife Mary, and Elizabeth Mathews (aged 80, Independent). Mary died in 1847.
In 1851, occupied by William Hawker, Landed Proprietor and widower (aged 64), and his housekeeper Maria Lawrence (aged 66).
In 1861, occupied by William Hawker, retired Shoemaker (aged 79) and his housekeeper Winifred Clarke (aged 46) and Elizabeth Clarke (aged 16).
William died on 31 January 1866 and Probate was granted 28 May 1866, £300. He and his wife are buried at St Gregory, in the same grave as his parents.
The Hawker Family
The Hawker family came from Eckington. William’s father, also William, was born there in 1765 and in 1782 married Hannah Wall at St Gregory, Castlemorton. They are buried at St Gregory.
William (the son) probably had no children. He also owned The Paddock, next to Chandlers Farm and two fields between Clark’s Farm and Maple Grove and a field called Tangrass, north of The Wallredding.
In 1839, with his brother John, he jointly owned Hawkes Hill (No.78), which was occupied by John and his tenant Richard Turner.
His brother, John, was living at Ebenezer Cottage in 1841 and 1851, succeeded there by his grandson Charles in 1871 and 1881. In 1859, Mrs. Grace Pitt, widow, housekeeper to Mr. Charles Hawker, Castlemorton, died very suddenly, at about three o'clock in the afternoon. She was taken ill with pain the chest on the previous day, but nothing serious was apprehended till a short time previous to her death. An inquest was dispensed with.
In 1832 there seems to have been some kind of family illness, as John’s wife and four of their children died that year.
John’s son William married Harriet Hedges in 1842 and they lived in the Eight Oaks area. In 1847, William was convicted of sheep stealing and transported to Adelaide to Port Phillip, Van Diemens Land on 8th August 1849. He died 27 November 1874 in Queensland.
In 1855 John’s son Thomas and George Powell, labourers, were charged with stealing an ewe sheep at this place on the 20th February, the property of John Scott. Mr. Cooke prosecuted; the first prisoner was undefended. The prisoners were tried separately. A second count in the indictment charged Hawker with stealing a ram sheep, the property of George Jakeman, of Castlemorton and a third count with stealing an ewe sheep, the property of Thomas Colston. Only the first was gone into. Supt. Checketts deposed that on the 22nd February he went to the house of the prisoner at Castlemorton in company with P.C. Mann about six o'clock in the evening. Witness told him that there had been several sheep stolen in the neighbourhood lately, and he was suspected of being concerned in the robberies. Checketts searched the house, and in a box found a cord which was stained with blood, and a steel; and in a barrel and a shed some bones and pieces of sheep skin with wool on it. He also found some sheep's entrails in a wash tub at the back of the house. Witness was afterwards shown a skin by P.S. Mann, and he did not doubt but what it was the one that the pieces of the skin and the bones belonged to. P.S. Mann proved receiving the skins from the prosecutor and Mrs. Scott proved finding them in a wood about a quarter of a mile from the prisoner's house. One of them was the skin of her husband's sheep. Mr. Thomas Colston, a farmer, of Castlemorton, proved missing a sheep on the 9th February. He searched for it, and one of the skins shown to him by P.S. Mann was that belonging to the sheep in question, and some pieces of skin and wool produced by the policeman corresponded exactly. The Jury returned a verdict of guilty, and the prisoner was sentenced to four years penal servitude.
Hawkers is that part of New Road from Mouchers Corner to The Gullet Road.
After 1881, the Hawkers are not found in the Parish.
In 1866, 28 May, to be sold by auction by Weaver & Moore at the Feathers Inn, Castlemorton, at three or four o'clock the afternoon (subject to Conditions of Sale be then produced), by direction of the Executors Mr. Wm Hawker, deceased, the following valuable property situate in the Parish of Castlemorton.
Lot 1. A brick-built freehold cottage, adjoining the road leading from Castlemorton to Little Malvern, with large piece of garden land well planted with fruit trees, having rights of common appertaining thereto, in the occupation of Stephen Walters, at a rental of £9 per annum. (This property has not been identified. In 1861, Stephen Walters with his wife and her family is living at Springbank Cottage, Hancocks Lane.)
Lot 2. A substantially brick built freehold dwelling house called Druggers End, adjoining the road leading from Gloucester to Worcester, with the brewhouse, mill-house with cider mill, and other outbuildings, garden, and a piece of superior pasture orcharding planted with choice fruit trees now full bearing, late in the possession Wm. Hawker, deceased; containing 1A. 0R. 16P, bounded by the lands of Mr. Charles Clarke. Land tax 4s.
Lot 3. A Piece of freehold pasture land well planted with fruit trees, situate near the last Lot (having a frontage of about 200 feet to the said Gloucester and Worcester Road), with the barn, yard, and other outbuildings thereto, also late in the possession of Wm. Hawker, deceased. (Presumably No 394, now Morton House)
Lot 4. Two Pieces of pasture land adjoining the road leading to Castlemorton Church, late in the possession the said Wm. Hawker deceased, two pieces of arable land situate near thereto, occupied John Guise and William Jeynes, the whole containing 0A. 3R. 30P. This Lot is held for three lives, aged respectively 73, 29, and 34, under the Manor of Longdon. Land tax, 10s. Worcester, Dean Forest and Monmouth Railway will run along the principal part of the above Property.
Further particulars may be obtained of Mr. F. M. Gregory, Solicitor, Upton-on-Severn Mr. J. R. Lane, Castlemorton; or of Weaver and Moore, Auctioneers, Tewkesbury.
1863 map showing the route of the proposed railway.
In 1871, possibly unoccupied.
In 1881, occupied by Frederick Lane, Carpenter (aged 28), his wife Sarah Ann (aged 28) and their children Caroline (aged 5), Frederick (aged 2) and Lizzie (aged 3 months).
In 1891, not found.
In 1893, Catherine Lane, wife of Frederick Lane of Ivy Cottage, died aged 63.
In 1894, a long standing claim, the sum of 12s. 7d. as damages for breach of contract, was claimed by Frederick Lane, Carpenter. Ivy Cottage, Castlemorton, from William Cox, Mill Farm, Castlemorton. Defendant denied the breach of contract, and also pleaded that the claim, being more than six years old, was barred by the Statute of Limitation. Judgment for the plaintiff for the amount claimed.
In 1901, as Ivy House, occupied by Emil Crosswick, Cycle Maker (aged 68) and his wife Elizabeth, Monthly Nurse (aged 48).
In 1906, Herbert Jeynes was charged with assaulting Emil Crosswick on September 23, at Castlemorton. There was a cross summons. Mr. F. W. Romney represented Jeynes. Crosswick stated that Sunday week last, defendant threw stones his house, and when he went along the lane was struck by him. Elisabeth Crosswick, wife the last witness, spoke to the annoyance they were subjected to, and witnessing the act of throwing by Jeynes. The latter struck her husband who struck back. Jeynes denied throwing stones, but asserted Crosswick struck him without provocation and injured him considerably.
Both cases were dismissed.
Charles Sarfield, a youth, was summoned for damaging September 23, a signboard, the property 'Emil Crosswick, a cycle agent, of Castiemorton, the same person as in the previous case. Complainant’s wife witnessed the offence Arthur Bunn, another youth, stated that Crosswick blackguarded them. The Chairman said that kind of thing would have to be stopped, and fined defendant 2s. 6d. and costs, and Is. damage, the fine being allotted to Mrs. Crosswick, who is a nurse, as a fee.
In 1911, Emil Crosswick is living there on his own. He died in 1921.
In 1939, possibly unoccupied.
In 1976, planning permission was granted for conversion of the barn into a bathroom and lounge, which extended the original cottage. Subsequently it has been extended further to create a bedroom.
A cellar beneath the cottage collapsed at some point and was filled in.
In 2001, purchased by Mr & Mrs Lowe from Birmingham for £250,000 from Mr & Mrs Mansell for their son Phillip. The Mansells retired to Spain.
The Lowes installed 2ft diameter drains to contain the previously open the stream that runs diagonally across their property from Gloucester Road to Druggers End Lane. This involved bringing in 150 tons of soil.
They also carried out other modernisation, including removing a large chimney breast from the west end of the property from an area that may have been used for baking and/or washing clothes, installing central heating, and creating a bathroom on a landing space previously used as a bedroom.
The ‘flower kiosk’ which used to face Gloucester Road was rebuilt as toilets and a hospitality space for caravan users. Even after the Lowes bought the property they kept the flower shop open for some three years so that Tracy Mansell, the daughter of the previous owners, could continue to run her business there. They also sold fruit and vegetables and Jakeman’s honey.
In November 2006, planning approval granted for a new garage (38’ x 20’).
Mr & Mrs Lowe moved from Birmingham to live in the property in 2017.