THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Hunters Hall Page 4
In 1901, Richard and Ann are still living there, with two servants: a Cowman and a General Labourer.
In 1911, a widow, Annie Elizabeth McLoed (aged 66, Farmer), is the head of the household. Also living there is her daughter Amy Beatrice (Elementary School Teacher), her sister in law Hannah Maria Downes, her niece Edith Mary Greenway. So the Greenways and the McLoeds are related.
In 1916, the farm is sold by the Somers Estate. 11 November Sale of valuable freehold properties situate in the Parishes of Castlemorton and Berrow, comprising : Hurst Farm, Hunters Hall Farm, Feather's Inn and land, Dales Hall and land, Broomy Hill, allotment land in the parish of Castlemorton, allotment land in the parish of Berrow,. Broomy Hill Coppice, Tact Coppice, four cottages and gardens. In all 303 acres, or thereabouts. Annual rentals, £4O8. (Excluding the Coppices). To be sold by auction by Messrs Pope & Smith, by direction of the Right Hon. Lord Somers, in 21 Lots at the Hotel Ledbury, November 28th. 1916, at o'clock precisely. Most of the Properties have Valuable Common Rights. Special facilities for payment by instalments to purchasers of Lots (other than Woodlands), of £5OO and upwards. Particulars, Plans and Conditions of Sale may be had of Messrs. Rooper and Whatley, Solicitors, 17, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, W.C.; C. E. Lillev, Esq, Solicitor, Ledbury; A. Roger Rowden Esq. Eastnor Castle Office nr. Ledbury; or of the Auctioneers, New Street, Ledbury.
1916 Auction Catalogue
The first Bunn to own Hunters Hall was Joseph Bunn (Joe) (1883-1949). He may have bought the farm in the above auction. His wife, Jane Drinkwater, had died in 1929 so he was looked after by his daughter Ellen Beatrice Bunn (Nell) who lived there with him. Three of his sons, Walter, Ronald and Fred were in some way involved in the farm and its land, as they are listed a previous owners of the land sold by Ronald Charles Drinkwater Bunn (1930-2006) to Penbode in 1990.
In 1939, owned by Joe Bunn. Mixed Farmer aged 76 who was living there with Ellen Rose Bunn (aged 44), Ronald Bunn, Mixed Farmer, (aged 17), Dorothy Bunn (aged 28) and George W Rose, Teacher of Handwriting (aged 2).
On Joe's death in 1949, Hunters Hall was briefly managed by his son Ronald until it was sold by auction and was purchased by his son Charles Drinkwater Bunn, who owned and lived at The Hurst.
Charles had previously owned and lived at Bakers Farm, which he sold, but kept the land. Likewise, he owned The Captains and had two Italian prisoners of war living there. He sold The Captains and kept the land. See map below for all the land.
- - - -
- - - -