THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Other names Moreton House, Morton House Farm.
Origin of name From Castlemorton
Date built 1851-1871
1839 Tithe Map. Field No 394, shed and land occupied by William Hawker and owned by Dean & Chapter of Westminster.
In 1841 and 1851, no house found.
In 1861, occupied by Louisa McLoed (aged 40) Grocer, her son John Pitt McLoed (aged 3) and Elizabeth Jones (aged 15) Servant. It is possible she was living on one the two houses the other side of Gloucester Road (now lost) and moved to Morton House as a new house by 1871.
In 1871, occupied by Louise Guise (50), Shopkeeper, her son John Pitt McLoed (aged 13) and Elizabeth Williams (aged 39) General Servant.
In 1881, occupied by Louisa Guise (aged 66) Grocer, her son John McLeod aged (23) Grocer and Lucy Kings (aged 19) Domestic Servant.
In 1891, probably empty.
In 1894, Country Grocers and Baking Business for disposal. Stock optional. Apply A. Small, Morton House, Castlemorton.
In 1896, “Archer's Registry Office”, Moreton House, Castlemorton, Malvern Wells; Ladies, 2s. 6d, Servants 1s.,also Apartments.
In 1901, occupied by Emil Crosswick (aged 68) Cycle Maker and his wife Elizabeth (aged 48) Monthly Nurse.
In 1911, occupied by Henry S Greenway (aged 50), Grocer and Farmer and his wife Mary Elizabeth (aged 48).
In 1920, for sale by Hannah Hammond and Mary Walters, The Stores, Castlemorton with steam bakery, good house, buildings and orchard. Possession at Michaelmas. A good business has always been done and the present tenant is retiring. Apply Mrs Walters, Morton House, Castlemorton. It was bought by James Weaver whop owned Kings Farm on the opposite side of the road.
There are still meat hooks in the ceiling, so this may refer to its time as Grocers.
In 1939, occupied by William F J Lane (aged 38) Commercial Traveller and his family.
In 1963, sold by auction as Moreton House as part of James Weaver's estate (he owned and lived at Kings Farm, almost opposite) whilst tenanted to Mrs Lockey at £40 a year. Situate with frontage to Gloucester- Malvern Road adjoining Druggers End, substantially built of brick with tile roof, containing front entrance to sitting room (15' x 13'6”) with red quarry tile floor and fireplace, dining room (14' 3” x 11' 6”) with fireplace and board floor, Breakfast room (10' 6” x 11' 5”) with board floor, larder, kitchen (14' x 11'6”) with Triplex cooker. Rear porch, five bedrooms, outbuildings including coal and wash house, E/C., water from pump. Small front garden, large kitchen garden. Main water and electricity available. Bought by Mr Gilmore for £1025.
In 1967, owned by Andrew Patrick Wadley as Morton House Farm. Sold in 1973 as a house, no land.
In 2006, planning approval given to A Hutchings for a wooden garage.