THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Other names None
Origin of name The property is built on a mound
Date built Before 1777
Mary Weaver, the present owner, has an extensive collection of early documents relating to Mount Pleasant. This summary of its ownership before coming in to the Weaver family has been produced from them.
In 1777, 28 March, three pieces of land in Castlemorton called Kings were demised (leased) by Thomas Chandler to Samuel Birchley for 99 years. (Note – Chandlers Farm is an adjoining property)
In 1788, 19 January, the remainder of the lease is assigned by Samuel Birchley to William Jones for £160:10s
In 1779, 23 &24 September, The property is purchased by William Hurst of Upton, Gentleman for £160.
It is in the occupation of Richard Proberts and comprises the house, Whips Patch and Hopes Patch. The conditions of sale in 1828 show that the land had been inclosed from the waste at least by 1779.
In 1790, 29 September, a Bond of Indemnity shows that Robert Rowley has bought Mount Pleasant for £168 from William Hurst, it being previously in the possession of Richard Probert. Rowley has a £140 mortgage from Hurst. Now it is sold to Thomas Brockhurst, Gentleman of Upton. The indemnity is against the possibility that if Williams; wife Jane survives him, she may have a Dower’s claim (one third of its value) against Mount Pleasant.
In 1800, 12 August, Thomas Brockhurst sold Mount Pleasant to Jonathan Jackson, Merchant of Liverpool for £190.
In 1812, 4 July. Will of Jonathan Jackson in the County of Lancaster, Merchant, bequeaths Mount Pleasant to his wife Elizabeth. Ann Devereux is mentioned as Elizabeth’s niece.
In 1828, 23 May, the property was auctioned at the Feathers. It was bought by John Lane from Elizabeth Jackson for £405. He paid a deposit of £40:10s and had until 24th December to pay the balance. Presumably he failed to do so.
In 1829, 29 January, Elizabeth Jackson, widow of Aughton, Lancashire sold Mount Pleasant to Thomas Croft of Woodfield, Ledbury for £450. It had been rented to Devereax (possibly Ann Deveraux above) but at the time was in rented to and lived in by Ann Mayo and after her a Grundy.
In 1835, 1& 2 June, Mount Pleasant was transferred to Hannah Croft, by Mary Denton, Edwin Symonds, William Denton and Thomas Hill. They were probably Executors for Thomas and were transferring the property to his widow, Hannah. Thomas’s Will was proved 4 June 1835
In the 1839 Tithe Award, fields 147 (Orchard, 3 rods 34 perches), 149 (Orchard, 2 rods, 36 perches) 150 (House, Garden and Yard, 2 rods 36 perches) & 151 (Orchard, 1 acre 1 rod 20 perches) are owned by Hannah Croft and occupied by James Grundy.
Field 1157 (Pasture, 4 perches) is owned by Dean and Chapter of Westminster and rented to James Grundy.
Fields 148 (Garden, 10 perches), 152 (Orchard, 2 acres 16 perches) 153 (Arable, 2 acres), 154 (Arable, 29 perches) 1158 (Arable Orchard, 1 acre, 2 rods, 24 perches) are owned and occupied by Thomas Colston.
Field and house146 (now the Paddock) belongs to William Hawker.
Field and house 155 (now Ebenezer Cottage) belongs to John Hawker.
Field 1157 belongs to the Dean and chapter of Westminster and is rented to John Hawker.
In 1841, occupied by Joseph Grundy, Farmer (aged 60), his wife Sarah (aged 55), son George, Butcher Journeyman (aged 20) and his children Elizabeth (aged 15) and Richard (aged 15).
In 1850, Hannah died and the property seems to have been sold to Joseph Hooper.
In 1851, named in Census and occupied by John Kendrick, Mason, aged 60, his wife Frances Kendrick (aged 51) and their children Elizabeth (aged 25), John Nicol(as), Mason (aged 15) and Francis (aged 7). Richard and Emma Weaver are living at The Mount.
In 1854, Joseph Hooper, has died and his widow Emma married Richard Weaver. The property passed to Richard and Emma Weaver and Edwin Hooper, with a mortgage of £60 from Thomas Holland, Gentleman of Upton on Severn.
In 1854, 26 August, an Indenture between the Dean & Chapter of Westminster and Edwin Symonds being a lease for 21 years from midsummer 1864. This might be for Field 1157.
In 1855, the property is tenanted to Sarah Chell.
In 1861, named in Census and occupied by James Hodges, Carrier (aged 54), his wife Sarah (aged 60), their daughter Ann M (aged 21) and step son Henry J Hemming (aged 28).
In 1862, the small area of land 1157 is part of other lands in Castlemorton leased by the Dean & Chapter to John Wedgewood (THE John Wedgewood) in1813. The lease had now expired and the Dean & Chapter repossessed it.
In 1865, 18 April, Mary Symonds of Woodfields, Ledbury, widow, takes a mortgage of £239:16:6d from Thomas Russell of New Mills, Ledbury against the deeds of Mount Pleasant, so she must now own the property. It was repaid on 13 December 1881, from the sale her estate after her death.
In 1871, named in the Census, occupied by James Hodges (Farmer and Carrier (aged 66), his step son Henry J Hemming, Assistant Farmer and Carrier (aged 36), and probably also by another family – Thomas Watson, Labourer (aged47), his wife Frances, Gloveress (aged 47), and their children William, Wheelwright (aged18) and Frances R (aged 9).
In 1881, named in Census and occupied by Henry Hemming, Farmer and Carrier (aged 48) and the Smith family as boarders – William(aged 47, Farmer), Jane (his wife aged 43), their children Charles (aged16), George (aged 11) and a visitor Mary Bradley (widow aged 78, Dressmaker).
In 1881, 13 December, Mary Symonds, late of the Heath Cottage near Bromsberrow Heath, widow, under her Will of 11 July 1873, empowered her Trustees to sell her property. After paying a legacy of £50 to Sarah Thurlston, wife of Henry Thurlston, and £50 to Thomas Russell, the remainder was to go to Mary Bond, wife of William Bond of Heath Cottage. Mary Symonds died on 6 May 1876. As the £50 was able to be paid without selling Mount Pleasant, Mary Bond asked that it be conveyed to her: including of 1 ½ acres of adjoining arable land called Grinfield, 1 acre called Whips Patch and 1 ½ acres called Hopes Patch; and a parcel of garden ground bounded on the north by Castlemorton Common, on the south and west by land above described, on the east by land now or late of Thomas Colstone, all in the occupation of Henry Hemming.
It is difficult to identify which field had which name, but based on areas Grinfield might be field 151 Whips and Hopes fields 147 &149.
Mary Bond and her husband William took a £150 mortgage from the Court of Good Samaritans No. 3730, The Ancient Order of Foresters, on 11 December 1883. On 27 January 1885 she borrowed a further £100.