THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Other names Newlands
Origin of name The name Newlands is mentioned in the Will of Richard Bullock in 1794, as having been recently purchased by him. The other field he purchased at the same time was called Howleys.
Date built Planning permission granted 18 December 1962
1760 map of Eight Oaks Farm, with North at the bottom, shows that the field was owned by Richard Bullock. He also owned The Plough from 1752-1785
In 1794, on Richard Bullock's death, the land passed to his son Thomas Bullock, with a proviso that on Thomas's death it should pass to Thomas's son, Thomas Bullock. Thomas Bullock (senior) died in 1826 and left no will.
Sometime between 1794 and 1839, it was purchased by the Dean & Chapter of Westminster and had been sold by 1950.
1947. Detail from the sale map of Eight Oaks Farm by auction. Newland House refers to Newlands on the other side of the road.
About 1945-50, owned by George Kemble Thorpe who owned Newlands House, opposite. He was living at Newlands House in 1939 and died there 1 March 1965. It is believed that The Laytons were living with George until he died.
In 1960, following applications in August and September, planning permission for the construction of the house was granted in December 1962 to Mr Lionel Palmer Layton, Pool House, Longridge Road, Malvern. He was a Land & House Surveyor and Valuer (1916-1986).
In 1975, a planning application to build an additional house at Newlands Grange was refused. Application 2 July, refusal 11 August. Application No 75/01308/OUT.
Probably after this, ownership had passed to a local Solicitor, Mr Wade, (Lambert & Wade, Malvern – now Whatley Recorden). He moved on to live at Hoopers Paddock. He probably sold Newlands Grange to the George and Peggy Bryden. George Bryden is Roger Jakeman's father in law.
In 2002, 19 July, “George and Peggy Bryden would like to thank everyone for their tremendous help and support on Saturday afternoon when they opened their garden for charity. An array of stalls together with competitions helped to amass the staggering total of £1,079 for the Tower Appeal for Little Malvern Priory”
In 2006, valued at £600,000.
In 2011, 3 October, Dorothy Margaret Bryden died.
In 2015, advertised for sale by Andrew Grant, at £895,000, as 5 bedroomed equestrian property.
A Substantial Family Home with Adjoining Flat Large Gardens and Grounds of 2.6 Acres in a beautiful rural location below the Malvern Hills.
Reception Hall, Sitting Room, Study, Dining Room, Kitchen/Breakfast Room With Pantry, Utility, Master Bedroom & En-Suite Bathroom, 3 Further Bedrooms, Family Bathroom. One Bedroom Flat With Bathroom, Living and Kitchenette.
Situation: Newlands Grange is located on the edge of the admired and scenic village of Castlemorton, set just to the east of the Malvern Hills. Castlemorton has a splendid church, village hall and excellent school. The neighbouring village of Welland has a Post Office and store, church, school and public house. More extensive facilities for shopping, leisure and education lie in Malvern and Worcester. The whole area is blessed with endless footpaths and bridleways, offering the finest of country leisure pursuits.
Description: Newlands Grange is entered through large oak double doors into a red tiled porch, which passes through a glazed oak door into the magnificent reception hall. The Reception Hall is spacious and provides direct access into the principal reception rooms. It has a Downstairs WC with WC, wash hand basin and a separate cloaks cupboard as well as picture shelf and is the location of the staircase to the first floor. The large Breakfast Kitchen is a light and bright room with dual aspects to the front and the rear of the property with a breakfast area with boxed seating and cupboards into a pantry and a hot water tank. The kitchen has some integrated appliances including a Hotpoint oven and grill, electric halogen cooker with four hobs and an AEG extractor hood over, sink, space for fridge, adjoining is a Larder and a door that leads to the boot room and garage. Also off the main reception hall is the wonderful Dining Room with bow shaped bay window with splendid views across the mature gardens and the paddock behind. It also has an oak picture rail, some shelving, as well as two oak fitted glass cabinets. The reception hall also leads into the large Drawing Room with an open fireplace in a stone surround and hearth with integrated carvings to the top. Double sliding doors open into a Study and Library at the rear of the property. It is a pleasurable and quiet place to read surrounded by oak fitted library shelving, and a wonderful view across the garden. There are UPVC double glazed double doors that open onto the patio behind.
The ornate and cast iron balustrading with oak hand rail turns and rises up to the First Floor Landing and the large Master Bedroom with fitted cupboards and En-Suite Bathroom with Spa bath, WC and hand wash basin set within vanity unit. Bedroom Two is a double bedroom with fitted cupboards and a fitted vanity basin. Bedroom Three is a further double bedroom also with fitted cupboards; it is serviced by the Family Bathroom which has a bath tub, shower, WC, hand wash basin. Bedroom Four can be separated off from the main house to create an additional bedroom to the adjoining flat vas it can be accessed from the flats bathroom.
Flat: The flat is accessed from a ground floor Inner Corridor, up a staircase and into an Open Plan Living Area with Kitchenette, which has an electric cooker, sink and fitted cupboards and shelves. Adjoining the living area is a single Bedroom with eaves storage, secondary glazing and a door, which leads into its own Bathroom with bath tub, WC and hand wash basin along with an electric heated towel rail (and door to bedroom four in the main house).
Garaging: Adjoining the property is a red tiled Boot Room with useful and secure cupboards including a Utility Room with a Gardeners WC, a Belfast sink, plumbing and ventilation for a washing machine and tumble dryer. Additionally, there is a rather useful log store and a courtesy door that goes from the boot room into the large Double Garage. The garage has sliding doors and power and lighting. Off the boot room, is a Rear Corridor, which links the main house up into the flat. There is a side door to the property, which is used on a day-to-day basis.
Gardens & Grounds: The property is situated within delightful gardens and grounds of approximately 2.6 acres and includes a range of mature hedges, shrubs, trees and plants, including some wonderful apple trees. There is a nice path that circumnavigates around the properties curtilage. Within the grounds there are two paddocks, one of which has a field shelter.
The central part of the garden has greenhouses, as well as a timber constructed shed, a glazed summerhouse next to a pool area that will requires total refurbishment.
The second paddock is illuminated by cast iron Victorian lamps in the central garden. The gardens are truly magnificent and with little effort will be back to their usual glory. From most corners of the garden there are delightful views of the Malvern Hills.
There is a small orchard next to the second paddock with former chicken coop and separate road access.
The property is approached off a quiet country lane through heavy set wrought iron front gates and up a lightly gravelled tarmacadam driveway to a large parking area at the front of the house, where there is direct access into the double garage.
In 2017, 17 August. George Walter Bryden died.
In 2018, October it was sold by the Executors of George Walter Bryden to Nigel and Kate Baker for £815,000.
In 2019, planning permission granted for stables to the right rear of the property.