THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Pink Cottage page 1
From Shirley Dalley
1939 - The Dalley family - Charlie and Alice took over the running of the Tea Rooms - but this property was owned by The National Trust. They left in 1953. It was mai
nly the family who ran the business until 1953 with occasional help from family visitors. The Thatched roof that was in place when the Dalleys took over the business later caught fire and the Dalley family fought the fire between them, managed to stop the blaze and get it under control but too much damage was done and Charlie requested a tiled roof following the many rogue spark incidents from 'wild fires' on the hills. The tiled replacement for the building was agreed by the National Trust , Charlie organised a local builder to do the replacement works and Charlie assisted the builders. Geoff Dalley recalls 'wild fires' on the hills on numerous occasions and watching his dad Charlie extinguishing the thatched roof as passing fern embers landed on the roof. The thatched roof that was on when the Dalley's took over was not the original. The Old photo's of the stepped thatching is a far earlier era. It is now privately owned.
Geoff Dalley informs me that the stipulation by the National Trust when they moved in was that the tea rooms should be open 7 days a week, making it a very well used business. Refreshment wise - the Bread was always delivered from the bakery - Peter Price from Castlemorton - the bakery was near to the Robin Hood pub - he provided bread to many households. Occasionally Geoff had to put the bread delivery van - a 3 wheeled Reliant back on it's three wheels - it came to grief on a few occasions travelling to and from the Pink Cottage. Originally the Pink Cottage had a board on the top gate that informed walkers that it was The Pink Cottage Tea gardens. There was a large tea room for wetter days. Regularly through the war the Ellerslie School girls visited the Pink cottage for afternoon tea after walking the hills and The Dalley family always received letters from the School staff thanking them for their hospitality. Charlie and Alice made their own cakes and even occasionally bread on demand in a large oven at the back of the cottage. As for the milk situation - (which had to be collected on a daily basis) - Geoff and another family member would travel 3 miles on foot to Old Castle Farm in Colwall - the farm being owned by Bernie and Les Owen to get the milk which was a two gallon churn. At the weekends this was a six mile round trip, school days it was brought back at the end of the day after school - always two having to carry the churn. It got a bit easier when they acquired a bicycle. Later on after the family aquired a Motor bike Geoff and a brother would travel across the hills down to Colwall to collect the churn. The pillion passenger would be in charge of holding the churn on the bike but occasionally they would come off and some of the milk would be lost. When this happened and the churn was still half full it got filled back up with water from Wombwell in the News wood.!!! They were discovered having made the replacement on only a few occasions! After that they made sure none of it got spilled! Malvern Hills Conservators gave permission for the transportation across the hills at that time which would of course not be granted today. General groceries were from Colwall mainly but these were only delivered as far as the British Camp car park and they had had to be collected from the car park by the Dalley family again by foot or bike and carried back across the hill to The Pink Cottage. They also had to cycle down to Hollybush to catch the Gloucester Green bus on numerous occasions, travelling into Ledbury for more urgent supplies. In those days the service ran every hour. Dad said they were hard times but also fun times.
Other names Hill Cottage. High House. The Hill. Baldwins Cottage
Origin of name It was painted pink after the 1880's.
Date built Not known. The property is 154m above sea level.
In 1839, Tithe Map No 88. Owned by The Dean & Chapter of Westminster and rented to George Warrender, Cottage and Garden. There were both Warren and Warrender families living in Castlemorton, although it is possible the name was shortened for convenience.
In 1841, as The Hill, occupied by George Warren, Woodman (aged 65), his wife Charlotte (aged 65) and their son Andrew Warren (aged 15, Woodman).
George Warren was born in Ledbury in 1773. He married Charlotte Jones 28 March 1796 at Whitbourne, Herefordshire where she came from. He died in 1852.
In 1851, not named. Occupied by George Warren, Pauper, aged 78, his wife Charlotte, Pauper (aged 74), Andrew Warren, Woodman's Labourer (aged 28), his wife Sarah (aged 23) and their son Samuel (aged 1)
In 1871, Hill Cottage. Occupied by Andrew Warren, Labourer (aged 48), his wife Sarah (aged43) and their children Samuel, Labourer (aged 21), George, Labourer, aged 19, Emma (aged 15), Elizabeth (aged15), Maria (aged 11) Andrew (aged 10), Fanny (aged 5) and Ann (aged 3)/
In 1881, not named. Occupied by Andrew Warren, General Labourer (aged 58), his wife Sarah, Glover (aged53), and their children Andrew, Agricultural Labourer (aged 20), Fanny, Pupil Teacher (aged15), Anne (aged 13 and William (aged 9).
In 1891, High House. Occupied by Andrew Warren, Broom Maker (aged 68), his wife Sarah (aged 62) and their son William, Agricultural Labourer (aged 16).
In 1895, 18 May, Andrew Warren died at Hill Cottage, aged 71.
In 1901, Hill Cottage. Occupied by William Marsh, Shoemaker (aged 38), his wife Mary (aged 47) and their children William A (aged 10), George T (aged 8), Robert S (aged 7), Walter J (aged 5), Ernest J (aged 4), Frederick c (aged 3), Albert E (aged 11 days) and his mother in law Sarah Warren, widow (aged73).
About 1910, bought by Albert and Blanche Baldwin to open as a tea room.
In 1911, Hill Cottage. Occupied by Albert Baldwin, Quarryman (aged 42), his wife Blanche M (aged 38) and their children Albert H, Chemist Potter (aged14), Philip C (aged 11), Arnold L (aged1), and boarders Albert Baily (aged 26), Ernest Tudge (aged 14) and Edward Tudge (aged 10).
Some time after the 1880's, Hill Cottage was not whitewashed but pinkwashed. Its name was changed to Pink Cottage and the barn turned into a tea room.