THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Origin of name
Coombe means a deep hollow or valley, especially on a flank of a hill. The property was named
Summercoombe by Richard & Sarah Armitage. They named it after a nearby fold called Wintercoombe, because they had the keys on midsummer day. The northern boundary is a stream, which flows from The Millpond to Mill Farm.
The early story of this property and its associated land, as owned by the Kendrick family, is complicated by there being three Thomas Kendricks.
1. Thomas Kendrick 1770-1844 who married Ann Lane. She had three sons:
John Kendrick/Lane 1800-1883 William Kendrick/Lane 1803-1877 James Kendrick/Lane 1808-
2. Thomas Kendrick who had at least two children:
Thomas Kendrick 1815-1876
Richard Kendrick 1819-1869
It also appears that the long term succession specified in some Wills did not take place as intended. This history is based on papers provided by Steve Howick of Millpond Cottage, who had been contacted by Denver Kendrick from Australia.
Summercoombe had been in possession of the Ambrose Haffield (1785-.) who married Mary Davis in 1806. It was next occupied by William Griffiths and then Thomas Kendrick (1770-1844). It comprised 1 acre 18 perches and was bounded by lands of Thomas Bacchus, Thomas Williams and Birtsmorton Common.
In the 1837 Tithe, Summercoombe is Nos 175 & 182, owned by Thomas Kendrick and occupied by himself and William James (should be Jeynes). The Thomas who owned it may or may not be the one living there in 1839. Fields 176 and 173 were owned by Thomas Yeomans
Thomas who owned it appears to be the only son of Job Kendrick (br. 29 October 1796 Bosbury) and Susanna Williams (br. 10 April 1786 Bosbury). They married on 24 April 1755 Bosbury. Job did not leave a Will.
It is also certain that Thomas Kendrick (1815-1876) was living at Summercoombe in the 1841 Census.
His family is Thomas Kendrick, Bricklayer (aged 30), Sarah, his wife (aged 30), and their children William (aged 13), Charles (aged 6), Richard (aged 4) and Maria (aged 2).
In 1843, July-September, Sarah died.
In 1844, 29 May, Thomas Kendrick (b. 1770) died intestate and without issue. Half passed to Thomas Tomkins, his nephew, son of Thomas Kendrick’s sister Susannah. The other half passed to the two children of Thomas Kendrick’s other sister - Ann Lewis, deceased: Millbrough Evans (wife of John Evans) and Ann Lewis. The house was in Castlemorton but the adjoining land was in Birtsmorton.
By an Indenture 28 June 1848 John Evans (of 11 St Anne’s court, North Brixton, Lambeth), Greengrocer, and his wife Ann, her ? share was conveyed to Ann Lewis. So it was now owned 50% by Thomas Tomkin and 50% by Ann Lewis.
Thomas and Ann agreed to sell the property to Richard Kendrick (Bricklayer), William Jeynes (Carpenter), William Kendrick (Bricklayer), John Kendrick (Bricklayer), Thomas Kendrick (Bricklayer) and Francis Higgins (Gentleman) for £106:10s, but no conveyance had been made. The purchasers had agreed to split it all into 6 equal parts.
No 1 was for Richard Kendrick (including 1/3 of the house)
No 2 was for Thomas Kendrick (1815-1876) (38 perches) for £17:15s., as part of the overall purchase price.
No 3 was for John Kendrick
No 4 was for James Kendrick (including 1/3 of the house)
No 5 was for William Jeynes (including 1/3 of the house)
No 6 was for William Kendrick.
In 1851, occupied by Thomas Kendrick, Mason’s Labourer (aged 46), his wife Elizabeth (aged 27) and his children Charles (aged 18), Maria (aged 12), Mary (aged 4) and Henry (aged 2). Thomas had previously been married to Sarah Baldwin, who died in 1843. He married Elizabeth Payne in 1848. In 1847 she had been living with him and had killed his son Richard, aged 9, whilst beating him for refusing to go to school. Evidently Thomas had forgiven her.
In 1861, occupied by Thomas Kendrick, Bricklayer (aged 55), his wife Elizabeth, Glove Maker (aged 39), his daughter Maria, Glove Maker (aged 21), and his other children Henry (aged 9), Alfred (aged 6), Anthea (aged 1) and Ellen (aged 6 months).
In 1870, Thomas Kendrick (1815-1876) wrote a Will giving all his property and land to his wife, Elizabeth for her lifetime use and thereafter to maintain his children (Charles, Maria, Mary Payne, Henry, Alfred, Arthur William, Ann and Joseph, until they were 21. Thereafter, his eldest child had first choice to purchase it.
In 1871, occupied by Thomas Kendrick, Bricklayer (aged 57), his wife Elizabeth (aged 48), and his children Mary, Gloveress (aged 23), Alfred, Bricklayer (aged 16), Walter (aged 11), Annie (aged 9), Joseph (aged 6), Alice (aged 4) and Louisa (aged 1).
In 1874, Richard Kendrick’s Will was proved. He gives his 2 houses in Birtsmorton to his wife, Elizabeth, for her lifetime use, and then to be let and the income divided equally between his children: Martha Morgan, Mary Ann Williams, Joseph Kendrick, Richard Kendrick, Caroline Parry, Selina Smith, Esther Kendrick and Adelaide Kendrick. After the death of the last of them, it is to be sold and the proceeds divided equally amongst his grandchildren.
In 1876, James Kendrick Lane (1808-1883) wrote his Will and was living at Mill Pound Cottage at the time. He owned other properties and his Will requires the income from his estate to take care of his wife and youngest son (Albert), and on Albert attaining 21 and his wife’s death to be divided equally amongst his children George, Eliza and Albert.
In 1876, 1 June, Thomas Kendrick died. Probate was to his wife and Charles King of Beech Cottage, Portishead, Labourer on 23 May 1877. Under £100. Elizabeth emigrated to Australia with her son Joseph in 1879 and in 1882 married John Carlesdine. She died of malignant disease of the vagina and uterus, senile decay and exhaustion and is buried in South Brisbane Cemetery.
Thomas’s Will left the whole property to his wife for the rest of her life. After that, the best kitchen and shed at the back and the room over to his son William Kendrick; to his son James Kendrick the room adjoining called the middle kitchen with a shed at the back; to his son Richard Kendrick the outside kitchen with a shed at the back and a room over the kitchen. All his land is to be divided equally between his children (William, James, Richard, Thomas and Amelia – wife of William Jeans) as tenants in common. On Amelia’s death, her share is to be split equally between his sons.
In 1878, 21 May, William Kendrick died and his wife Sarah Kendrick is the beneficiary.
In 1881, occupied by Joseph Kendrick, Bricklayer (aged 45), his wife Harriet (aged 45) and their children Sidney, General Labourer, (aged 18), Ann (aged 16), Albert (aged 14), Eliza (aged 12), Lillie (aged 7), Emily (aged 5), Walter (aged 3) and Gilbert (aged 2).
In 1882, 2 June Joseph Kendrick, Stone Mason, takes a mortgage of £70 from Richard Matthews, Gentleman of Ledbury. It is secured against three pieces of land and the house:
No. 6. Late in the possession of William Kendrick (his eldest brother) and Elizabeth (his step mother), 29 perches, It is bounded to the South by Thomas Yeomans (Rainbow End) and to the East by Ann Williams (Millpond Cottage).
No. 3. Late in the possession of John Kendrick and then of Elizabeth Kendrick, 37 perches.
No 5. Late in the occupation of Eli Green and afterwards by George Allsop but now by J Kendrick. No. 4 is shown as premises belonging to James Kendrick.
No 1. The tenement or dwelling house and part of a shed and one third of the courtyard in front which surround the three tenements.
In 1885, June, the mortgage is taken over by Helen Carr of New Town, Ledbury, now for £86.
Ivy Cottage (1911).
The Retreat (1939).
Part became Falcon Chase