And The Surrounding District

The Plough Page 3

In 1897, the Trustees sold The Plough Inn, with outbuildings, garden, orchard and pieces and parcels of land, to Arnold Perrett & Co Ltd (Brewers) for £800.

In 1900, William Hale, landlord of the Plough Inn, Castlemorton, was charged with keeping his house open during prohibited hours, namely, 'at a quarter to 11 on the night the March last'. P.S. William Bury stated that 'on the night in question, about 10.45, bhe went into the kitchen of the Plough Inn and saw six men there'. He said to the landlord, "Hale, how is that these men are here?" and Hale replied, "I suppose it's near upon 10." It was then a quarter to 11. Hale said it was a mistake in the time, and hoped the witness would take no notice of it. As witness was leaving, Hale called him back, and said the hand of his watch was wrong. P.C. Wilkins, who was with the witness, looked at the watch, and it was then 10 past 11 by his watch. Witness took the names of the people in the house. They all left soon after. P.C. Wilkins corroborated the evidence of Sergt. Bury. The defendant explained to the Bench that he was mistaken as to time. Fined 40s. and costs, and cautioned.— Adam Gunnell, George Hart, George Gamble, James Lewis, Robert Lambert, Francis Davis, and James Drinkwater were fined 1shilling each and costs for being on the premises during prohibited hours.

In 1901, occupied by Frank Taylor, Innkeeper (aged 34), his wife Mary J (aged 29) and their children Elsie K (aged 6), Doris E (aged 3) and Charles T (aged 2).

In 1902, the licence was transferred to Alfred Poole.

In 1910, occupied by Alfred Poole – Parish Council elections.

In 1911, occupied by Alfred Poole, Innkeeper and Farmer (aged 36) and his wife Hannah Harris Poole (aged 35).

In 1911, Alfred Poole and Hannah Harris Poole, of the Plough Inn, Castletmorton, sued William Smith. farmer, of Castlemorton, for damages for slander. Mr. Farrant, for defendant pleaded priviledge.  The Hon R. Coventry appeared for the plaintiffs. He said the plaintiffs claimed damagesr for a very serious imputation against Mrs. Poole' moral character. Counsel added that if the matter had remained there it might not have been as serious as it was, but this "pig-headed old man" had got the idea into his head and sprout the scandal all over the village, and told influential people, including the parson and the police-sergeant. Plaintiffs wrote and riasked defendant to withdraw the allegations, but no reply was received until the writ was issued, when defendant's solicitor wrote and denied the allegations and suggested that some mischief maker had been at work in the village. Counsel claimed for the falling off of trade at the public house, and further damage for Mrs. Poole's mental suffering. When she went to church people looked askance at her, and the conduct toward her was more biting and cruel than the accusations. She was obliged to give up going to church. When she went down the street young men accused her and threw filthy epithets at her. Counsel scited the jury to punish "his old scandalmonger" for his foul and malignant words, and for his pig-headedness, obstinacy, and cruelty. Alfred Poole, the male plaintiff, swore that the trade had halved off at the public-house. Mrs. Poole said she had been in the habit of singing in the choir at the church, but she observed that the chorister changed in their attitude towards her, and she left the choir. Mr. Coventry abandoned his claim for special damages. Dr. W. V. Naish, of Upton-on-Severn, gave evidence. Defendant said his son, whom he had associated with Mrs. Poole, had spent about £200 at the house. He was there almost day and night. Defendant, cross examined, said he did not agree that Mrs Poole was a respectable woman. -Thomas Andrews, Eight Oaks, Castlemorton, gave evidence on behalf of plaintiffs. The jury returned, and found for the plaintiffs and awarded £50 damages.

In 1916, it was advertised by the brewery, to rent. Albert and Hannah purchased and moved to Roseville Farm about this time.

In 1924, the brewery was taken over and the pub sold to George and Susannah Prosser. George was a former Blacksmith and Susannah a Music Teacher. They moved to Malvern because of George's health although he gained work as a quarry man at Hollybush Quarry soon after moving to the Plough.  He worked there until his death in 1951 aged 73, when he was killed in an accident at the quarry.

They ran the Inn until it was delicenced in 1927. The bar counter faced the main entrance with a door behind, now sealed up, leading to the cellar, which is now entered from the kitchen. The snug was to the right of the front door.