THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
BANNUT TREE COTTAGE (Walnut Tree Cottage)
The photograph shows wooden gates on Gloucester Road, where there was a Turnpike.
Walnut Tree Cottage is a Grade II listed building, renovated in the 1980’s and an Orangery added in 2010. It is owned by John and Beryl Heywood whose family own The Gallery Restaurant, Lon Nant Iago, Llanbedrog.
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153184
Source ID: 1349215
House. Late C16 (the date on the gable end is 1576) with later alterations. Restored 1980s. Timber-framing and brick with tile roof. T-plan. One storey with attic, with two-storey cross-wing at left. Cross-wing framed in four rows of square panels, with two struts between tie-beam and collar and V-struts above. One C20 window on each floor. The range to the right is of brick, rebuilt in the C20. It has a window with a door to its left, both with segmental heads. The attic is lit by a dormer. Chimney on rear wall of main range. The truss in the rear wall of the cross-wing is dated "1676", said to be a re-painting of an existing date. Interior: main range has chamfered main beams and a re-built inglenook. The cross-wing is entered by two adjacent doorways with canted heads. There is a similar doorway in the wall which divides the two ground floor rooms of the wing: The internal truss of the cross-wing has two struts between tie-beam and collar. (Listing NGR: SO7858137648)
Belonging to the property today is the land comprising fields 9, 10 and 11 on the 1811 map, on which stables have recently been constructed and land to the west of The Bannut Tree bounded by Mason’s Farm and the track (Field Road on the 1811 map) on which a building is under construction.
The cottage was part of The Bannut Tree estate sold by Cazalet in 1922, where it was described as a 17th century cottage containing:
“On the ground floor, sitting room with fireplace and window seat in bay, large kitchen 19’ 92 by 16’ 2” with oak beamed ceiling and oven range.
On the first floor, four bedrooms (one with fireplace) and landing.
Outside, E.C and timber and corrugated iron shed. Detached timber and concrete and corrugated iron roof laundry, fitted with furnace and sink, Drying Room with cellar under, Tool shed at rear and Open shed.”
See also The Bannut Tree. The cottage once housed a generator for The Bannut Tree.
Belonging to the property today is the land comprising fields 9, 10 and 11 on the 1811 map, on which stables have recently been constructed and land to the west of The Bannut Tree bounded by Mason’s Farm and the track (Field Road on the 1811 map) on which a Commercial Property has been constructed.