THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Glenberrow, Hollybush, home of Mary Selwyn.
In 2004, at Peter Heath’s request, Mrs. Valerie Goodbury carried out some research into the history of Glenberrow opposite Hollybush church. She found deeds dating back to 1632.
The property was known as “The Berrow”, the prefix “Glen” being added probably in the mid-nineteenth century.
Mary Selwyn inherited Glenberrow from an aunt in 1847. In the 1861 census she is listed as living at Glenberrow with her widowed mother, Charlotte Sophia Selwyn. In 1871 she is listed again and in 1881 she appears for the third and final time, on this occasion with her aunt.
Hollybush Church and Mary Elizabeth Adolphine Selwyn (born 1813, died 1881)
It was largely due to the fund raising efforts of Mary Selwyn (who lived opposite the church at Glenberrow) that Hollybush Church opened on November 3rd, 1869.
Mary Selwyn was particularly concerned about the lack of a place of worship at Hollybush and, like others, alarmed that 30 people from the area had been enticed away by the Mormons to Salt Lake City.
Together with Catherine, Countess of Beauchamp, Mary dedicated the stained glass window in the east end of the newly built church to her parents Townsend and Charlotte Selwyn. This dedication is commemorated in a plaque below the window.