THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Heron Lane is a bridleway running alongside the Severn Trent Sewage Treatment works opposite Castlemorton School.
In the 1861 Census it is called Herring Lane.
On the 1837 Tithe Map, there are two houses shown: No 276 and No 285
In 1841, occupied by William Wagstaff Agricultural Labourer and his wife Honor.
In 1851, occupied by William Wagstaff (Agricultural Labourer, born 1811), his wife Hannah (born 1815) and their children Elizabeth (born 1842), William (born 1843), Henry (born 1844), Charles (born 1847) and John (born 1950)
In 1861, occupied by Samuel Pugh (Farming 5 acres, born 1811), his wife Matilda (born 1813) and their children Rose Matilda (born 1846), George Samuel (born 1849), Amelia Morton (born 1845) and Winifred Jane (b. 1848).
It appears to have gone out of use by 1871, although it is shown in black on the 1884 Ordnance Survey Map. The Pugh family are living in Birts Street, next door to the Surrell family, so may be that this is really Heron Lane.
In 2018, the frame is still standing. It is evident from the ceiling height that the household lived on the first floor.