THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Other names Lane’s Farm. Cider Mill Cottage, adjacent, was known as Lane’s Cottage.
Origin of name The Lane family and the fact that it is thatched.
Date built About 1700 (estimate when it was listed). Another source, now lost, suggests 1630.
In 1975, 18 November, the Raby family bought the light green field below the pond and the dark green field below that, to secure access to their property. They immediately sold the dark green field to Dunhallow. The boundary in 2018 is shown below by the dark green border.
In 1816, owned by James and Mary Symonds. (Simmonds)
In 1819, 30 June, Richard Greenway buried in Worcester.
In 1829, 22 May, James Symonds buried at St Gregory, Castlemorton.
In 1839, Tithe 350-353. Owned by Mary Symonds, who occupied the house (351) and let the remaining ground to William Phillips. Access to the house was across Field 346.
In 1841, occupied by Mary Symonds (aged 65), Elizabeth Symonds (aged 35) and William Phillips (aged 35), Farmer.
In 1851, occupied by John Hirons, Machine Man (aged 42), his wife Elizabeth (aged 36) and their children Edwin (aged 12), Ann (aged 8), George (aged 6), Louise (aged 4) and Charles (aged 2).
In 1855, 30 September, Mary Symonds died (buried, 4 October 1855 Malvern Wells) and the property passed to her daughter Maria (under the terms of Richard Greenaway’s Will). Maria had married Thomas Birchley on 3 November 1825 at St John Worcester and they had at least 8 children, including Thomas (born 1830) Osmond (born 1840, died 1927) and Frederick (b. 1844).
In 1861, occupied by Thomas Birchley, Farmer of 5 acres (aged 31, so born 1830), his wife Elizabeth (aged 30) and children William (aged 3), Mary (aged 1), Thomas’s brother James Birchley (Agricultural Labourer aged 28) and Elizabeth Hunt, Thomas’s Step Daughter aged 7.
In 1871, occupied by Thomas Birchley, Market Gardener (aged 41), his wife Elizabeth (aged 41), their children William (aged 13), Mary (aged 11), Charlotte aged 9, Thomas (aged 8) Sidney (aged 6), Charles (aged 4) and Ann (aged 1).
In 1873, Thomas Birchley senior died and in 1879 his wife Maria died. Ownership of the house seems to have passed to Osmond, although it was rented to his brothers Thomas and Frederick. Osmond was living nearby at North Farm, and his mother was living with him.
In 1880, 8 May. To be sold by auction by Moore & Son, Friday, the 21st day of May, 1880, at the Feathers lnn, Castlemorton, at 3 for 4 o’clock p.m., subject to Conditions of Sale to be then produced, a commodious freehold dwelling house, with garden, barn, mill-house (in which is a cider mill), stable, piggery, and cart shed; a brick built cottage near thereto, with garden, and three pieces of garden or arable land and luxuriant orcharding, now in full bearing; known as “The Lane’s Farm,’’ near to Castlemorton Common, with the valuable Common Rights belonging thereto, containing in the whole 4A. 3R. and 32P, or thereabouts; in the occupation of Messrs. Thomas and Frederick Birchley. The above is free from Land Tax, and bounded by property of C. M. Berrington, Esq., Mrs. Mary Hemus, and Messrs. Stone and Bundy. For a view apply to the Tenants, and further particulars may be obtained of Mr. George Coventry, Solicitor, Upton-on-Severn; or of Moors % Son, Auctioneers, Tewkesbury and Upton-on-Severn.
1880, 3 August, bought by Joseph Harber, Farmer from Marlbank, for £450. 4 acres, 3 rods and 30 perches by estimation, actually 4 acres, 2 rods, 6 perches. Dwelling house with barn, stable and other outbuildings.
1880, 19 November, Joseph Harber, arranged a mortgage of £150 from Mrs Elizabeth Thornborough of Droitwich.
In 1881, occupied by Henry Harber (Joseph’s son), Farmer of 13 acres (aged 33), his wife Fanny (aged 30) and their children William A (aged 12), Alfred E (aged 8), Ernest H (aged 6), Frank (aged 3) and Georgina (aged 2 months).