THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Morgans Orchard also known as Millpond Orchard.
No 186 in the 1839 Tithe Map, called Morgan's Orchard in the 1970's.
In 1839, Cottage and Garden owned by The Dean and Chapter of Westminster and rented by Richard Morgan.
In 1841, occupied by Richard Morgan, Agricultural Labourer from Powick, his wife Hannah and their children Thomas (aged 13) and Christopher (aged 11), all shown as Agricultural Labourers.
In 1851, occupied by Richard Morgan, Agricultural Labourer, his wife Hannah and their son Christopher and grandson William (aged 16).
In 1861, occupied by Richard Morgan, now aged 76, Agricultural Labourer and his wife Hannah, aged 72.
1867, 19 October, Worcestershire Chronicle
Nutting. John Webb of Castlemorton, was summoned by Christopher Morgan, for committing damage to nut trees in New Ledbury, belonging to Earl Somers, on the October, and he was fined Is, damage Is, and expenses 11s, which were paid.
In 1871, occupied by Hannah Morgan, aged 86, widow.
In 1881, not found.
In 1885, shown as building and orchard on the OS Map.
1888, 21 August, Bristol Mercury. Nailsea, Somersetshire. Leasehold Shop and Dwelling house, R Shiner will offer by Auction at the Royal Oak Inn, Nailsea, this day (Tuesday) 21st August, at Seven o'clock pm., The dwelling house and shop formerly used as the Cooperative Stores, fronting the main road, NAILSEA, occupied by Mr Dan Morgan. The Property is held for 75 years from March, 1867, at £2 For further particulars apply to the Auctioneer, Brockley, Somerset; Mrs Morgan. Golden Valley, Nailsea; or to Edward A Salmon, Solicitor, St. Stephen Street, Bristol.
In 1891, not found.
1900, 6 January, Cheltenham Chronicle
Frederick Morgan, Golden Valley, Gloucester Road, summoned on the information of Street Inspector Lane for leaving horse and cart unattended in the street on December 3oth. Fined 6d
1900 Occupiers List shows Christopher Morgan living in a dwelling house at the Mill Pond.
In 1901, not found
1901, 26 October, Gloucestershire Echo
Lost, Friday, yellow and while half-Persian male cat. Reward returning same F. Morgan, Hill View, Golden Valley, Gloucester Road, Cheltenham.
1903, 6 June, Worcestershire Chronicle
Mrs. Morgan was also granted a separation from her husband, Christopher Morgan, of Golden Valley, Castlemorton on the grounds of cruelty. Defendant was ordered to pay 3s. 6d. week towards her maintenance.
In 1905, shown as house and orchard on the OS Map.
1908, 24 April, Gloucestershire Echo
Golden Valley Air Gun Club. An enjoyable evening was spent on Wednesday by the members of the Golden Valley Air-Gun Club, when about forty sat down dinner the Pheasant Inn, Staverton. Mr. W. F. Hicks Beach had been invited preside, but was unable attend owing to another engagement, and in his absence the chair was taken by Mr. A. J. Cummins (president of the club), who was supported by the vice-preside (Mr. Woodward), the treasurer (Mr. A. Davis), the captain (Mr. A. Mason), the sub-captain (Mr. F. Mason), the secretary (Mr. W. Hooper), the assistant secretary (Mr. H. Morgan), Mr. A. A. Orviss, Mr. E. Orviss and others The toast-list was commendably brief, the programme being one of melody and merrymaking. After presenting the N.R.A. diploma to Mr. A. Davis for his score of 588 out of a possible 6OO in the season, gold medal (first prize) to Mr. F. Hopkins, and second and third prizes to Mr. T. Wasley and Mr. A. E. Mason respectively, formalities were dispensed with and musical medley of phonograph selections, songs, etc., given Messrs, Day. Lewis, Proctor, Morris, and visitors from Churchdown 1 Social Club, (the home club being represented in the programme by Messrs. Randall. Port lock, F. Mason, A. Mason, Harper. Morgan. Hay, etc. Mr. Davis, the genial host, was thanked for his splendid dinner and efficient service, and all thoroughly enjoyed the evening that they are anticipating another annual dinner with whetted appetites.
In 1911, not found.
In 1977, bought by Malvern Hill Conservators in Auction from the estate of Lilian Ethel Williams, deceased, of Millpond Cottage, referred to as Morgan's Orchard. The Conservators restored an old Cider Mill in 1978.
Malvern Hill Conservators Management Plan, 2016
A small, ex-farmstead orchard adjacent to Hollybed Common. The orchard contains 9 veteran pears, at least 15 old apple trees and approximately 15 younger apple trees. The fruit trees are pruned as required by volunteers and wardens. The grassland in-between trees is kept open through livestock grazing and occasional clearance by mechanical means mainly strimming of thistles, bramble etc. The site was fenced off from the common in 2014 to prevent commons livestock from eating fruit (poisonous), outside of autumn a gate is propped open allowing livestock and visitors to wander through the orchard. An interpretation board and restored cider mill are present at the southern end. Colwall Orchard Group produced a site management plan for the orchard.
Richard Kendrick was born 1819. He married Elizabeth and the 1841 Census records them living at Coombe Green with their children Martha (b. 1832), Margaret (b. 1835), Joseph (1837), Richard and Elizabeth (b. 1841).
In the 1851 Census he is living at Coombe Green with Elizabeth, Martha, Mary (Margaret), Joseph, Richard, Caroline, Sophia and Esther.
Martha married Christopher Morgan (1829-1901), son of Richard and Hannah Morgan. They had three children: Christopher (b. 1864) who married Sarah; George (b. 1871) and Thomas (b. 1871).
In 1881, Christopher, Martha and family were living at The Gullett, Ledbury.
In 1891, Christophe and Sarah were living at Park Lodge, Ledbury.
In 1901, Martha was living at Wombswell Cottage, Ledbury with her son Christopher (widower).
In 1911, Christopher was living at Storridge.