THE BCH ARCHIVE

LOCAL HISTORY FOR

BIRTSMORTON

CASTLEMORTON

HOLLYBUSH

And The Surrounding District

Mount Pleasant  Page 2

In 1891, named in Census, only occupied by John Butt Checketts, Lodger and General Labourer (aged 21).


In 1900, 26 March, Messrs Daniel Davies, William Henry Hatton and Joseph Lloyd (Trustees of the Court of Good Samaritans No 3730, the Ancient Order of Foresters) sold Mount Pleasant to George Weaver for £400. The areas shaded in yellow belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, but in the 1939 Tithe Map the Commissioners only owned part of one piece. The 1900 Occupiers List shows Albert Baldwin as living there.

In 1901, named in Census, occupied by Albert Baldwin, Domestic Groom (aged 31), his wife Blanche (aged 28), and their sons Albert H (aged 4) and Philip C (aged 1).


In 1901, George Weaver, Castlemorton, was charged with having two pigs straying. P.S. Jones proved the case. Fined 6d, and costs.


In 1902 and 1903, George Weaver, of Castlemorton fined 2s 6d for not sending his children to school.


In 1907, 26 March a mortgage of £300 was transferred from James Barnett of Ledbury, retired Farmer to Charlotte Palmer of The Hall, Birlingham, Pershore. This is supplemental to a mortgage of 27 March 1900 between George Weaver and John Parry for £300; and to a transfer of mortgage 27 March 1906 between John Parry and James Barnett.


In 1911, named in Census, George E Weaver aged 46, his wife Eliza Weaver aged 45 (married for 23 years with 6 children all still living), Annie Weaver (daughter aged 23), George W Weaver (aged 19), Howard Weaver (aged 9), Charles Weaver (aged 8), Hereward Weaver (aged 6) and Theresa Weaver (aged 3).


George sold animal feed and deliveries were by horse and cart until the 19209’s, when he bought a lorry. It was only the second lorry in the whole of Malvern.

In 1919, 9 October, The Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England sold to George Edward Weaver two pieces of land for £40 which they had become the owners of on 26 April 1862 (published in the London Gazette 29 April 1862). These were the two pieces in yellow on the 1900 map, now marked in red on the 1919 map  


In 1901, named in Census, occupied by Albert Baldwin, Domestic Groom (aged 31), his wife Blanche (aged 28), and their sons Albert H (aged 4) and Philip C (aged 1).


In 1901, George Weaver, Castlemorton, was charged with having two pigs straying. P.S. Jones proved the case. Fined 6d, and costs.


In 1902 and 1903, George Weaver, of Castlemorton fined 2s 6d for not sending his children to school.


In 1907, 26 March a mortgage of £300 was transferred from James Barnett of Ledbury, retired Farmer to Charlotte Palmer of The Hall, Birlingham, Pershore. This is supplemental to a mortgage of 27 March 1900 between George Weaver and John Parry for £300; and to a transfer of mortgage 27 March 1906 between John Parry and James Barnett.


In 1911, named in Census, George E Weaver aged 46, his wife Eliza Weaver aged 45 (married for 23 years with 6 children all still living), Annie Weaver (daughter aged 23), George W Weaver (aged 19), Howard Weaver (aged 9), Charles Weaver (aged 8), Hereward Weaver (aged 6) and Theresa Weaver (aged 3).


George sold animal feed and deliveries were by horse and cart until the 19209’s, when he bought a lorry. It was only the second lorry in the whole of Malvern.

In 1919, 9 October, The Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England sold to George Edward Weaver two pieces of land for £40 which they had become the owners of on 26 April 1862 (published in the London Gazette 29 April 1862). These were the two pieces in yellow on the 1900 map, now marked in red on the 1919 map  


In 1923, 20 April, Charlotte Palmer, now of Dupwell, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, was paid in full by George Weaver and there was no longer any mortgage.


In about 1926 Hereward started to buy apples to sell to Bulmers. Everything was in sacks and they had to be loaded by hand, so Weavers were a major employer in the area, at the farm and at the Quarry.


In 1935, 27 April G E Weaver died and the farm passed to Hereward and Charlie Weaver, brothers. They sold animal feed, grain and many other things, including paraffin and coal.


Hereward and his mother bought blackberries and took them to Malvern station to go to Manchester. Local picked blackberries as they were free.



In about 1971, Hereward Weaver bought Field 620 (1900 map) from Percy Jakeman who had died. He had promised it to Hereward and his son, Neville Jakeman was quick to honour the promise.


In the 1980, Charles Weaver retired as he could no longer look after the farm at Dales Hall. Hereward bought it, together with 83 acres and sold Dales Hall and 38 acres to Tim Cameron.


In 1993, Hereward Weaver died and Mount Pleasant passed to Mary Weaver. The 45 acres passed to David Weaver.


After Hereward’s death, John Weaver died in 1995. This marked the end of G Weaver & Sons.


David Weaver juices apples and the juice is sold for cider production and he deals in farm machinery.  


In about 2000, Mary Weaver bought Field 623 from Patrick Jakeman.


In 2005, Hogan’s Cider was formed in Alcester, using Castlemorton apple juice to make cider.




          1.    The House

     2.     Battery House, part built

     3.     Grain warehouse and loading bay

     4.     Egg store

     5.     Mill, containing one grinding mill and one oat roller

     6.     As 5.

     7.     Office

     8.     Weight office

     9.     Vehicle standing

     10.     Store and maintenance workshop

     11.     Poultry and battery house

     12.     Vehicle stand

David’s land is mainly rented to Matt Gardner for sheep grazing. He rents the bottom two fields and part of the barn all year round, and the remainder except from the end of March to the end of July when David grows hay on it.

In 1944, Hereward Weaver fined £1 for permitting a van to be without lights in Old Hospital Lane. (Gloucestershire Echo, 15 June).


In 1945, Cider, medium sweet, 3/6 gallon; 6 gallons and upwards free delivery, returnable barrels. Weaver and Sons, Castlemorton, Malvern. (Gloucester Citizen, 28 June).

In 1947, Charles Henry Weaver married Elizabeth S James (Peggy)


In 1949, 15 October. Special notice.  H. Weaver Berrow, Nr. Malvern Tel. Bromsberow 231 and G. Weaver & Sons Castlemorton, Nr. Malvern Tel. Birtsmorton 260, regret unable accept any further consignments cider fruit or perry pears until November 1st next.


In 1953, Showerings started to make Babysham and loads and load of perry pears went from Castlemorton to Shepton Mallet.


In 1954, 21 April, Hereward Weaver and Charles Henry Weaver, as owners of Mount Pleasant and land on Broomy Hill (Nos 571A, 572 and 572A on the Ordnance Survey Map, comprising 4.269, 3.951 and 4.000 acres respectively) took out a mortgage of £2175 from George Arthur Onslow of 3 Flat, Brightstowe, Burnham on Sea, Richard George Onslow of Bear Barn, Hartley Wintney, and William Herbert Masefield of Ledbury.


In 1959, Charles and Hereward were both at Mount Pleasant.


Hereward bought him out.


In 1964, 31 January, the property was insured for £21,425 by Provincial Insurance Company Limited. The policy is vested in Hereward Weaver and John Henry Weaver (son of his brother Howard Weaver) trading as G Weaver and Sons of Mount Pleasant, Fruit and Corn Merchant and Provender Millers.


Weaver Family Photo 1920