THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Heron Lane is a bridleway running alongside the Severn Trent Sewage Treatment works opposite Castlemorton School.
In the 1861 Census it is called Herring Lane.
On the 1837 Tithe Map, there are two houses shown: No 276 and No 285
No 276 – at the western end
In 1837, owned by Mary Cross and occupied by William Wagstaff.
In 1841, occupied by William Wagstaff Agricultural Labourer and his wife Honor.
In 1851, occupied by William Wagstaff (Agricultural Labourer, born 1811), his wife Hannah (born 1815) and their children Elizabeth (born 1842), William (born 1843), Henry (born 1844), Charles (born 1847) and John (born 1950)
In 1861, occupied by Samuel Pugh (Farming 5 acres, born 1811), his wife Matilda (born 1813) and their children Rose Matilda (born 1846), George Samuel (born 1849), Amelia Morton (born 1845) and Winifred Jane (b. 1848).
It appears to have gone out of use by 1871, although it is shown in black on the 1884 Ordnance Survey Map. The Pugh family are living in Birts Street, next door to the Surrell family, so may be that this is really Heron Lane.
In 2018, the frame is still standing. It is evident from the ceiling height that the household lived on the first floor.
Castlemorton is a village and civil parish close to Malvern in the Malvern Hills District in the county of Worcestershire, England.
It consists of a village centre, a large common and many farms and houses within the area. To the south of the village are the earthwork remains of a medieval motte-and-bailey castle.
Castlemorton Common was once part of the vast Royal hunting grounds of the Malvern Chase. James I split up much of this hunting ground (examples are Eastnor Castle Estate, Bromsberrow Estate) and Castlemorton Common is the largest remaining tract of unenclosed public land. Much of Castlemorton is today within a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and protected as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) due to ome very rare fauna and flora living within its boundaries.
The Common was the location of the controversial Castlemorton Common Festival, a week-long free festival and rave held in 1992, that led to the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. The event made national headlines.
In 2012 the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust signed a lease to manage and restore 16 hectares (42 acres) of meadow at Hollybed Farm near Castlemorton.[3