THE BCH ARCHIVE
LOCAL HISTORY FOR
And The Surrounding District
Heron Lane is a bridleway running alongside the Severn Trent Sewage Treatment works opposite Castlemorton School.
In the 1861 Census it is called Herring Lane.
On the 1837 Tithe Map, there are two houses shown: No 276 and No 285
No 276 – at the western end
In 1837, owned by Mary Cross and occupied by William Wagstaff.
In 1841, occupied by William Wagstaff Agricultural Labourer and his wife Honor.
In 1851, occupied by William Wagstaff (Agricultural Labourer, born 1811), his wife Hannah (born 1815) and their children Elizabeth (born 1842), William (born 1843), Henry (born 1844), Charles (born 1847) and John (born 1950)
In 1861, occupied by Samuel Pugh (Farming 5 acres, born 1811), his wife Matilda (born 1813) and their children Rose Matilda (born 1846), George Samuel (born 1849), Amelia Morton (born 1845) and Winifred Jane (b. 1848).
It appears to have gone out of use by 1871, although it is shown in black on the 1884 Ordnance Survey Map. The Pugh family are living in Birts Street, next door to the Surrell family, so may be that this is really Heron Lane.
In 2018, the frame is still standing. It is evident from the ceiling height that the household lived on the first floor.
The Hollybush Oak, A veteran clootie tree. decorated with votive offerings
Hollybush is a small village on the Worcestershire Herefordshire border at the southern end of the Malvern Hills and close to the borders of both Gloucestershire and Herefordshire. There is a small church, All Saints, and village hall but no shop or pub. The post office closed some years back in 1980 as did the stone quarry in 1976 with some stabilisation and alternative use continuing. At the time of the 1901 census, there was a blacksmith and a number of residents were recorded as being glove makers along with quarrymen, postmen and farm labourers.
Hollybush is dependent on its transport links. Its prosperity has been formed by its location on the Hollybush Pass, where the road that crosses, east West through the Malvern Hills. This is now the A438. Dating back to the bronze age this was an important east-west route across the hills, transporting goods and people via pack horse trail and later cart and coach and motor vehicles.
At the top of the Hollybush, the land opens to a 4-acre field Wintercombe. The ancient boundaries of this field date back to the time of Midsummer Hill Fort which lies on the top of Midsummer and Hollybush Hill. "Wintercoombe " a name derived from the practice of bringing in stock for shelter in winter. We can speculate that this field was used to support the livestock from the fort. At this point, the hedge boundary crosses the "Shire Ditch" which runs north-south along the Malvern Hills.